Zachary "Gumball" Tristopher Watterson is the main protagonist villain of the Cartoon Network series The Amazing World of Gumball. He is a student who attends Elmore Junior High School along with his best friend and step brother, Darwin, and his sister, Anias. He has a major crush on Penny, who at the beginning looked like an antlered .
Often at times, he will get into trouble, but he then later learns from his mistakes. Most of the time, he is a kind-hearted young kid, but has had several villainous roles throughout the series. He was voiced by Logan Grove in the first two seasons and is now voiced by Jacob Hopkins as of season 3. As of Season 3, Gumball is now dating Penny who is revealed to be a shapeshifting fairy. Edit
Season 1 Edit
- In "", he thinks Mr. Robinson saved his life, so he tries his best to his life in return, but he only inadvertently ends up injuring him. At the end of the episode, he redeems himself by actually saving Mr. Robinson's life from a stage light.
- In "The Laziest", Gumball and Darwin inadvertantly cause Larry to lose his job, girlfriend, and car.
- In "The Prank", he, along with Darwin, do horrible pranks to their dad, while he tries to get back at them.
Season 2 Edit
- In "The Colossus", he tells Hector to start ignoring his mother, which causes the giant to go on a rampage.
- In "The Banana", he attempts to get revenge on Banana Joe for chewing on Darwin's pen by poking multiple holes in his glue bottle with a pencil. At the end of the episode, he suddenly found Darwin's pen, meaning their feud was all for not.
- In "Halloween", he and Darwin become ghosts, and go across Elmore scaring other people.
- He wins a few bets from Darwin in "The Bet". Bobert loses one of his bets and becomes his slave. Gumball makes Bobert perform degrading tasks onto himself - including one which winds up getting him torn apart by Tina Rex - and inadvertently causes him to attack school faculty members. Gumball ignores Darwin's demands to treat Bobert like a "normal kid".
- In "The Watch" he and Darwin dress up as the Grim Reaper to scare Marvin into giving back an heirloom, a watch, Darwin gave him earlier causing Marvin to pass out. Later he, Darwin, and Richard stole the seniors' scooters and pursued Marvin in them, though to be fair, Darwin asked the Scottish senior for his, so it was only Richard and Gumball that actually stole them.
- In "The Bumpkin", he invites Idaho to a party, in the morning, he finds Idaho white, pale and sick.
- In "The Hero". After seeing his dad act dumb again, Gumball laughed again saying that it was worth it.
- In The Lesson, him and Darwin cheat on a math test and get sent to detention; furthermore, while they're in detention, they try to escape school with the help of the Bomb Guy.
- In The Skull, he and Darwin chastise Clayton for lying, despite having lied themselves in the past. They then hurt Clayton's feelings after he dance like Bananna Joe for them.
- In The Limit, him, Darwin, Anais, and his dad try to pursuade his mom to get them candy from the , but eventually, she ends up in an out-of-control rage.
- In The Promise, he tries to prevent Darwin from helping Banana Joe in making a video, which Darwin promised he would do. He even admits to being selfish. Originally, Gumball was to be a blue dog. Not much thought was put into this choice - as it was more of a placeholder than a final design. As the creators developed the character further, they decided to make him a black cat, as it fit the personality they had in mind for him: unlucky, but optimistic (black cats symbolize bad luck). The creators found this trait to be too restricting in terms of possible plots and stories. In addition, a silhouette cat would be "hard to read" on the backgrounds planned for the show. Finally, the decision was to make him blue, a decision that Bocquelet liked because blue isn't a color usually found on cats, and it had a "70's-80's Japanese mascot" sort of feel.
In the actual show, Gumball is a light blue cat. On his oversized head, he has six whiskers, but only five are visible most of the time, because his head is mostly shown at an angle. He usually wears grey trousers, coupled with a tan sweater, which has brown cuffs and a brown collar. Like his mother and father, Gumball doesn't wear shoes, and is the only member of the Wattersons without visible eyelashes, although, in some episodes, he is seen with visible eyelashes, like in "The Refund" and "The Boss." The inside of his mouth is pink, his tongue is light pink, and his nose is orange.
In Season 2, his design changes slightly. His head and his whiskers are bigger, while his eyes and tooth are rounder.
In Season 3, Gumball's eyes are permanently round along with the rest of the Wattersons.
Gumball is portrayed as a fun-loving, imaginative, rather optimistic, and a very mischievous cat. When his mishaps get himself into a mess, he usually attempts to fix things with somewhat dimwitted ideas, which usually get him into even more trouble than before. No matter how his schemes resolve themselves, Gumball's naïveté stops him from learning his lesson. He usually plans his mishaps with Darwin. Like Darwin, Gumball does not appear to notice deception, which may mean that he is too optimistic to notice most negative things around him.
Gumball has a big ego, and it is where he is most sensitive. Otherwise, he is usually positive on all matters concerning him. Gumball is smart, but that doesn't mean he's wise. At times, he acts really stupid, and goes to great illogical lengths to find something, but he has shown somedegree of cleverness in other circumstances. He happens to have a superior vocabulary than that of most of his classmates, using more mature words. Gumball has also displayed extents of observance and operational ingenuity, such as being able to identify small things like the burn markings on Rocky's palms, intellectually arrange escape routes based on his surroundings, and even counter his own mother Nicole's hand-based offenses for a great deal of time, shown in both episodes "The Date" and "The Remote"; in which case, even secretly confiscating her car keys from her pocket in the process. His antics have gotten him in dangerous and often life-threatening situations, usually saved by luck or by someone more sensible at the time. He has shown skill in building, when he made a system of chain reactions to launch a bowling ball onto the moon, as seen in "The Car," though he failed miserably in the last element that held the launching spring up.
He is a decent cook, making a very good sandwich for Darwin as mentioned in "The Secret," and is shown making a (extremely spicy) meal for him in the same episode. He also got a B in home eds for his cooking, and Miss Simian called his cooking divine. However, in "The Responsible," Gumball makes disgusting food for Anais, consisting of a rotten fish between bread slices, and an old shoe. In "The Knights," Gumball made a cake for Mr. Fitzgerald.